The first day of school is this week in our town. Fellow parents, one of the least important decisions you have to make is whether or not you’re going to use a prop or not (DO take a picture though, it’s a rite of passage).
If you’re on Pinterest, you’ve no doubt noticed that it is rife with wildly-creative prop ideas. The last 2 years, I’ve worked really hard on the girls’ signs and ALWAYS regretted it. Sure they’re cute, but they stressed me out and I wished I’d done something simpler that took WAY less time. So make a choice you WON’T regret.
5 Prop Ideas (Easiest to hardest):
- Get a blank piece of paper, white or colored according to what you have. DO NOT GO TO THE STORE TO BUY PAPER. Draw a big number of what grade your kid is going into. Maybe write the year (2016). Maybe let them decorate with stickers. Kids like their names being on stuff, so write their name on it, too.
- Let them make their own signs on construction paper or cardboard. Help them with the parts they can’t accomplish on their own. It’ll be a fun task for them to help with that’s FOR THEM and something THEY can do to prepare for school.
- Use an existing chalkboard or white board you have laying around
- Cut a cardboard box into a square or rectangle. Cover it in pretty wrapping paper or foil. Cut out a big number of grade in paper. Outline it with glue/glitter. Write kid’s name in glue/glitter.
- Make a fancier sign from Pinterest: Google pinterest first day of school signs